Saturday, February 25, 2012

Pretty Brown Girl (2/25/12)

Today was the first Pretty Brown Girl Day! I found out about it from a high school classmate who posted on facebook. I was all over that since I am one, and I have the prettiest brown girl of them all (according to me of course). I ordered our matching shirts right away and they arrived in Portland just in time for today! Since I moved form Puerto Rico to the states I have seen the negative perception of women of color. I am
hypersensitive to these issues and want to ensure that our daughter grows up knowing she is beautiful, intelligent, talented, and can do anything she sets her mind to.

Shortly after my hubby and I brought our gorgeous daughter home form Atlanta to Portland I went on a walk in our neighborhood and I stopped at Starbucks. As I was waiting for my drink, a young white girl came in. She was a cute teenage girl. As I turned my attention back to Amarilis I had this overwhelming sadness thinking that by the time she is my age things will not be that different for women of color. It sadden me of all the pain and ignorance that I will not be able to save her from, but will do my best to sooth her through. I pray that I am wrong, but I doubt that I am. Now, three years later, I am very glad to be celebrating our Pretty Brown Girl with other Pretty Brown Girls around the country! It is not too late to get your shirts or other Pretty Brown Girl items at: www.prettybrowngirl.com.

1 comment:

  1. That beautiful little girl is lucky to have a mom like you. I commend you for creating positive change in the world. Your feelings are absolutely correct and many feel just like you and hopefully by seeing your actions will be inspired to also take action.

    ReplyDelete